Wednesday, July 25, 2007

David Fulmer's "Storyville" books, the movie

The current feature at My Book, The Movie: David Fulmer's "Storyville" books.

Fulmer's acclaimed Storyville mysteries features Creole detective Valentin St. Cyr. The first volume of the series, Chasing the Devil's Tail, was a finalist for the Los Angeles Times Mystery/Thriller Book Prize and the winner of the Shamus Award for Best First P.I. Novel.

Publishers Weekly noted that Jass, the second Storyville mystery, "uses spare but evocative prose to create an atmosphere steeped in ragtime, bourbon and the institutional corruption for which the Big Easy is notorious."

And Rampart Street, was among the books mentioned in New York Magazine’s recent picks of “The Best Novels You’ve Never Read.”

About a film adaptation of the novels, Fulmer writes:
Since there have been numerous nibbles and discussions about one or all of my Storyville books reaching the screen, I've spent some time thinking about the talent in the roles. It's an intriguing exercise, because it's such a unique setting: sex, drugs, and primitive jazz, all in turn of the century New Orleans. I can only take credit for some of the characters: others are real historical figures, and as good as I or anyone else could make up.

At one point, an agent asked me for suggestions, and because I'm so clueless about new talent, I in turn asked a group of mostly female friends to weigh in. The majority of the suggestions were sober, but then a misbehaving few turned it into "Who I'd Most Like to Jump."
Read on to see which actors make Fulmer's dream cast.

Fulmer's other books include The Dying Crapshooter's Blues, to which he applied the Page 69 Test.

Visit David Fulmer's website and read chapter one of Chasing the Devil's Tale.

My Book, The Movie: David Fulmer's "Storyville" books.

--Marshal Zeringue