Tuesday, April 29, 2008

The Page 123 meme: follow-up

Linda L. Richards, author of Death Was the Other Woman, tagged me with the Page 123 meme and I tagged a few writers. Here's a sample what they did with it:

The nearest book at hand for Steve Hockensmith was a classic left near his desk by his 4-year-old, Pooh and the Dragon, which does not have 123 pages, so he turned to the next nearest book: The Killer Inside Me by Jim Thompson. Here are lines 6-8 from Pooh -- "No, we weren't scared," Roo giggled. "Why would we be?" He yawned. -- and the meme-relevant lines from Thompson's novel:
"You hurt me."

"I did?" I said. "Gosh, I'm sorry, honey."
Actually, I can imagine those lines in a Pooh book, too.

For Katherine Howell, the nearest book was James Lee Burke's Bitterroot.
Sentences 6, 7 and 8:

"Can you explain to me what your son is doing with Sue Lynn Big Medicine?" he said.
"Dancing, the last time I saw her."
"You were an officer of the federal court."
Pete Anderson wrote:
I'm reading Nelson Algren's novel Never Come Morning. (An interesting coincidence, given the fact that I once wrote a Page 69 essay for Marshal on Algren's The Man With the Golden Arm.)
The meme-rable lines:
"Bullet through the groin - zip," he added, his words coming flat and unempathetic, reading from the charge sheet without understanding. "Five children. Stella. Mary. Grosha. Wanda. Vincent. All underage."
Good stuff.

--Marshal Zeringue