Friday, October 23, 2009

Coffee with a canine: Sydney Salter & Jack and Rosie

This weekend's featured trio at Coffee with a Canine: Sydney Salter & Jack and Rosie.

Salter, on how her Bernese Mountain Dog siblings have influenced her writing:
Actually, my writing influences my dogs. I used to be a cat person. Not having grown up with anyone of the canine persuasion, I didn’t get dogs. Compared to cats they seemed rather needy, plus they didn’t know how to use litter boxes. But then I started researching a novel set in Alaska. Again and again, I read amazing tales about the dogs beloved by native Inuit, gold rush adventurers, and many others who survived those harsh winters. Hmm, I thought, my cat would not sit through a snowstorm to warm my frostbitten body, unless it benefited him, of course. I decided I wanted to live with one of these amazing creatures—or maybe two (part of me hankered for a whole dog sled team). My family was thrilled when I announced that I was finally ready to own dogs.

Now that I have big, hairy, shedding dogs who eat 40 pounds of dog food every ten days or so, I understand...[read on]
Salter is the author of My Big Nose And Other Natural Disasters, Jungle Crossing, and Swoon At Your Own Risk.

Visit Sydney Salter's website and blog.

Writers Read: Sydney Salter.

Read--Coffee with a Canine: Sydney Salter & Jack and Rosie.

--Marshal Zeringue