Wednesday, May 12, 2010

What is Sarah Quigley reading?

The current featured contributor at Writers Read: Sarah Quigley, author of TMI, her debut YA novel.

Her entry begins:
I rarely read books I don’t like because I’m always getting great recommendations from my writer friends. I regularly share my thoughts about kick-ass books on my blog. Here are some of my favorites from the past few months:

How to Say Good-Bye in Robot by Natalie Standiford

While most seniors would enter a new school hoping to party with the popular kids, Beatrice would rather stay up late listening to a quirky call-in radio show and patrol bookstores with Jonah. Nicknamed Robot Girl and Ghost Boy, the two strike up an unusual friendship that hovers near romance but can’t seem to land.

I loved the way Standiford made Beatrice cynical but not overly bitter, allowing herself to finally care about someone while pushing away the in crowd. Beatrice and Jonah choose to be outsiders, and it’s a refreshing change from the usual YA storyline in which...[read on]
Among the praise for TMI:
"Becca's blogalicious missteps and triumphs will keep you cringing and laughing all the way through!"
--Kieran Scott, author of Geek Magnet and I Was A Non-Blonde Cheerleader

"Quigley has created a charming and wholly believable narrator in the hapless but well-meaning Becca...Realistic details of teen social life in a small Midwestern town round out this...very entertaining offering."
--Booklist Reviews

"Laugh-out-loud funny."
--Kirkus Reviews
Read an excerpt from TMI, and learn more about the book and author at Sarah Quigley's website.

My Book, The Movie: TMI.

Writers Read: Sarah Quigley.

--Marshal Zeringue