Saturday, June 05, 2010

What is Doug Magee reading?

This weekend's feature contributor at Writers Read: Doug Magee, author of the debut novel Never Wave Goodbye, out this month from Touchstone.

His entry begins:
I just finished the first draft of my second novel. I can't read much more than the newspaper (which in my case is the NY Times and quite a bit of reading) when I'm writing so I'm now starting to go through some books I've had stacked up.

I was introduced to Robert B. Parker very recently and am working through his long list of books. His passing is mourned by many, many readers and it's easy to see why. He's such a comfortable narrator, engaging and not the least bit of a show-off. I always have the feeling that he must have been much like Spenser in person. The current book of his I'm reading is Back Story.

I'm also reading...[read on]
Among the early praise for Never Wave Goodbye:
"Never Wave Goodbye opens with one of the strongest dramatic twists I've read in a long time, but Doug Magee is truly just getting started. In this suburban nightmare scenario that brings to mind the best of Harlan Coben and Linwood Barclay, Magee proves himself to be a powerful new voice who separates from the pack by paying as much attention to human relationships as he does plot twists."
--Michael Koryta, author of So Cold the River

"Never Wave Goodbye blasts right out of the chute with a terrifying premise and doesn't ease up until the final pages. It's a wrenching first novel that grips the reader personally and emotionally and makes one ask, 'What would I do in similar circumstances?'"
--C.J. Box, Edgar-winning author of Nowhere to Run

Never Wave Goodbye is a moving love story, a searing family drama, a stomach-churning thriller and one hell of a tale well-told. Go ahead and try to put it down.”
--Bryan Gruley, Edgar nominated author of Starvation Lake
Read an excerpt from Never Wave Goodbye, and learn more about the book and author at Doug Magee's website.

Writers Read: Doug Magee.

--Marshal Zeringue