Thursday, August 18, 2011

Steve Brewer's "Calabama," the movie

Now showing at My Book, The Movie: Calabama by Steve Brewer.

The entry begins:
When I heard Ryan Gosling was starring in the film of James Sallis' great crime novel, Drive, I thought: "Well, hell. I wanted him for my movie."

Gosling, who was so brilliant in Stay, Blue Valentine and Lars and the Real Girl, would be perfect to play Eric Newlin, the callow slacker in my latest novel, Calabama.

Calabama is a hillbilly noir set in the wilds of far Northern California. Eric, a transplant from the Midwest, lives in the sun-baked city of Redding, where he works for his father-in-law. Eric hates his job, and his wife is shrew. He drinks too much, smokes pot, sneaks away from his responsibilities to go fishing -- anything to feel that he's not completely stuck in a rut, that his life isn't owned by others.

One night, as he's leaving a bar, a speeding Corvette flies right over Eric's head. The driver is killed, but Eric doesn't suffer a scratch. He decides this is an omen: His life is about to change. And he's correct. It...[read on]
Learn more about the book and author at Steve Brewer's blog.

Brewer is the author of more than 20 books, including the recent crime novels The Big Wink and Firepower.

His first novel, Lonely Street, recently was made into a Hollywood comedy starring Robert Patrick, Jay Mohr and Joe Mantegna.

My Book, The Movie: Lonely Street.

My Book, The Movie: Calabama.

--Marshal Zeringue