Friday, March 22, 2013

Coffee with a canine: Margarita Engle & Maggi and Chance

The current featured trio at Coffee with a Canine: Margarita Engle & Maggi and Chance.

The author, on how her dogs have influenced her writing:
At various times, dogs have moved into my stories, and stayed, so I have no choice. I have to include them. My newest novel in verse for young adults is The Lightning Dreamer, Cuba's Greatest Abolitionist, but while I was writing it, Chance inspired me to write a middle grade novel in verse called Mountain Dog. Around the same time, Maggi helped me write an extremely cute, sweet poetry picture book for young children, called When You Wander, a Search and Rescue Dog Story. Amazingly, all three books will be released within a few months of each other, starting with The Lightning Dreamer....[read on]
About Engle's new book,  The Lightning Dreamer, from the publisher:
“I find it so easy to forget / that I’m just a girl who is expected / to live / without thoughts.” Opposing slavery in Cuba in the nineteenth century was dangerous. The most daring abolitionists were poets who veiled their work in metaphor. Of these, the boldest was Gertrudis Gómez de Avellaneda, nicknamed Tula. In passionate, accessible verses of her own, Engle evokes the voice of this book-loving feminist and abolitionist who bravely resisted an arranged marriage at the age of fourteen, and was ultimately courageous enough to fight against injustice. Historical notes, excerpts, and source notes round out this exceptional tribute.
Learn more about the book and author at Margarita Engle's website.

Read--Coffee with a Canine: Margarita Engle & Maggi and Chance.

--Marshal Zeringue