Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Tracy Guzeman's "The Gravity of Birds," the movie

Now showing at My Book, The Movie: The Gravity of Birds by Tracy Guzeman.

The entry begins:
What a blissful assignment! Populating a film version of The Gravity of Birds with actors of my own choosing seems like the best possible way to procrastinate for a while. But since the narrative goes back and forth in time, I’d need a handful of Alices, a few Natalies, certainly more than one Thomas, and at least a pair of Finches. (Or else one extremely talented makeup artist.) I’m hard pressed to identify young actors that would bear enough resemblance to their older counterparts, something that often pulls me out of the action when I’m watching a film where the actors age dramatically. But for certain characters, at certain points in the novel, choosing a card-carrying SAG (or Equity) member is a piece of cake.

I didn’t have him in mind when I wrote the character, but now when I imagine Dennis Finch, the art history professor, I can only picture the brilliant Michael...[read on]
Learn more about the book and author at Tracy Guzeman's website and blog.

Writers Read: Tracy Guzeman.

My Book, The Movie: The Gravity of Birds.

--Marshal Zeringue