Thursday, August 06, 2015

What is Lou Anders reading?

Featured at Writers Read: Lou Anders, author of Nightborn.

His entry begins:
Right now I’m reading Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix with my son, the first time for both of us. I read the first two Harry Potter novels very soon after they were released, but I also began a career as a professional editor around the same time. So when book three was out, I was too busy with my own slush piles to read further. In fact, for a good portion of the next fifteen years, I never read more than the first book in any series I didn’t acquire myself. The reason was that I felt I needed to keep up with as much as I could beyond my own list. Reading six “Book Ones” from separate series would teach me more about the climate of speculative fiction than reading six books in the same series.

Then, maybe four or five years ago, my son was old enough for me to begin reading Harry Potter to him. We made it to the third book, but he started to find it a little frightening. I realized that these books were...[read on]
About Nightborn, from the publisher:
From the author of Frostborn comes Book 2 in the acclaimed Thrones and Bones fantasy-adventure trilogy for fans of Lloyd Alexander and Brandon Mull.

Karn Korlundsson is a gamer. Not a riddle solver. But in order to rescue his best friend, Thianna Frostborn, he will need to travel to the faraway city of Castlebriar (by wyvern), learn how to play a new board game called Charioteers (not a problem), decipher the Riddle of the Horn, and tangle with mysterious elves.

Meet Desstra. She’s in training to join the Underhand—the elite agents of the dark elves. When she crosses paths with Karn, she is not all that she appears to be.

Everyone is chasing after the horn of Osius, an ancient artifact with the power to change the world. The lengths to which Karn will go in the name of friendship will be sorely tested. Who knew that solving a riddle could be so deadly?
Visit the official Thrones & Bones website, Lou Anders's website, Facebook page, and Twitter perch.

The Page 69 Test: Nightborn.

My Book, the Movie: Nightborn.

Writers Read: Lou Anders.

--Marshal Zeringue