Sunday, March 05, 2017

Four books that changed Ian McGuire

Ian McGuire's new novel is The North Water.

One of four books that changed the author, as shared at the Sydney Morning Herald:
INDEPENDENCE DAY
Richard Ford

You could call this my mid-life crisis book. I came to Ford's work quite late, but having been introduced to his short story collection A Multitude of Sins around 2005, I read everything else and was amazed. (So amazed, in fact, that I felt compelled to write my own book about his work.) Independence Day is Ford's greatest achievement. It manages somehow to be simultaneously realistic, optimistic and wise – a truly rare feat.
Read about another entry on the list.

Independence Day is among the Telegraph's fifteen best North American novels of all time.

Learn about Ian McGuire's ten top adventure novels.

--Marshal Zeringue