Thursday, February 01, 2018

What is Chris Nickson reading?

Featured at Writers Read: Chris Nickson, author of Free from all Danger: An 18th century police procedural.

His entry begins:
My reading tends to take on two dimensions: downstairs – evening reading – and upstairs – what I read in bed (the perfect way to wind down before sleep). The downstairs reading is actually a pair of complementary social history books, Ruth Goodman’s How to be a Tudor and Ian Mortimer’s The Time Traveller’s Guide to Elizabethan England. It’s a period I don’t know, beyond some basics, and I wanted to learn more, partly for my own curiosity, but also because I have a faint idea for a book bobbing around set in the time. Most of my novels are set in Leeds, which was still a small place then, but I can extrapolate the way many people would have lived and worked and dressed; to get a feel for what their lives might have been like. Inevitably, the two books...[read on]
About Free from all Danger, from the publisher:
Richard Nottingham discovers that a new, more ruthless breed of criminal has colonised the city when he returns as Constable of Leeds.

Leeds, 1736 Lured out of retirement to serve as Constable once again, Richard Nottingham discovers that he's dealing with a new kind of criminal: someone who believes he's beyond the law; someone willing to brutally destroy anyone who opposes him. To stop him, Nottingham must seek help from some very unlikely sources.
Learn more about the book and author at Chris Nickson's website.

My Book, The Movie: The Constant Lovers.

The Page 69 Test: The Constant Lovers.

The Page 69 Test: The Iron Water.

Writers Read: Chris Nickson.

--Marshal Zeringue